MFVN has an active birding program. It coordinates and encourages birding within and outside of the Mississippi Watershed. Lanark County is divided almost equally into areas of the Canadian Shield and St. Lawrence Limestone Plain and provides a variety of habitats that attract more then 250 species of birds. The Birding Committee organizes field trips, participates in bird counts and produces a checklist of birds for Lanark County as well as a guide to good birding locations.
Select the following to see the Birding Schedule.
Birders are encouraged to report sightings to Cornell’s Ornithology Lab’s eBird application and to respect the Ontario Field Ornithologist’s code of ethics. Resources and information for birding in Lanark County can found at:
- Almonte Lagoons: Al Potvin Observation Tower and Mike McPhail Bird Viewing Shelter
- Checklist of Birds in Lanark County
- Guide to Lanark County Birdwatching Locations
- Diary of a Lanark Big Year 2015 by Iain Wilkes
- Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
- Audubon Christmas Bird Counts