The Young Naturalist Program of MVFN has had to pivot like many others. To lessen the burden of COVID safety responsibility and focus on offering interesting, educational nature themed content it will not be a drop-off program for the foreseeable future.
Rather it is a family (or learning pod) event where children can learn about nature. Children are to be supervised by their parent/guardian, not a YN volunteer. This will allow families to learn and experience different aspects of nature in a safe environment.
The first session will have a number of stations:
- Challenge your family to a obstacle course in the snow!
- Wander through the pine forest to ID animal tracks (hopefully real ones but we will be hiding photos of tracks throughout the forest with fun animal facts)
- Take a minute to challenge your eyes in a “search and find” activity practiced by real search and rescue volunteers.
- Stan Hollaway will teach participants how to start a fire with common items in nature.
- And finally, a take home snowflake crystal craft.
Also, you are welcome to explore the trails for the duration of the event but must return them to the gatehouse by noon.
Families may pick and choose the stations that appeal most to their interests and age. This will allow participants to spread out and maintain social distancing.
Location: Mill of Kintail
Date: March 6, 2021
Time: between 10 a.m. and noon.
Cost: $15 per child, $5 per adult. Please bring the exact change to limit contact with volunteers.
If you would like to participate, you must register here. Attendance is limited to 25 individuals. A waiting list will be created once this number is reached.