The Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists’ Members’ Night and Annual General Meeting will not be held in May this year.
The AGM is a very important function in the life of any organization. MVFN’s outgoing board of directors present a report on activities during the year and a budget for the upcoming year. We typically celebrate the recipients of the Nature Bursary and nominees to the Ontario Nature Youth Summit. All of this will have to wait until the fall, when hopefully we will be able to gather again.
In the meantime, we are looking for members to join the Board of Directors.
A Second Vice-President is needed. Vice-Presidents do not have specified responsibilities except to take over chairing the Board in the event that the President or Chair is unable to be at a meeting. Thus it is an ideal position in which to learn how the Board and the organization at large functions.
A number of strong committees organize our various programs but a few people are needed to round out their rosters (these positions do not require Board attendance):
• an Assistant Treasurer or Treasurer-in-Training is needed to assist with the books when the Treasurer is away and possibly take on the role of Treasurer, when the current treasurer retires (our Treasurer is limited to a three year term). If you have questions about this position contact John Blais the current Treasurer.
• the Conservation and Habitat Committee needs one more volunteer to help with organization. This committee tends to work on a project basis calling for additional volunteers when needed.
• someone to assist Publicity and Communication. MVFN is in the process of re-doing several brochures and re-organizing the website. Contact Linda McCormick for more information.
• someone for the Social Committee to assist in the kitchen on presentation nights.
• someone for the Membership Committee to help on presentation nights.
We are also searching for individuals with technical expertise to help with tools we have been exploring like Zoom, iNaturalist and a Facebook group while social distancing has been in place. These tools appear to be quite valuable and may become part of our program going forward.
MVFN is a vibrant organization that is dedicated to enjoying many aspects of the natural world. As you know, our lecture series is very popular, but there are many other MVFN activities such as birding outings, canoe trips, nature walks, camping trips, young naturalists activities and citizen-science projects.
We cherish the volunteers who make it all happen!
Copyright © 2020 Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are either a current MVFN member or your membership expired less than two years ago
Our mailing address is:
Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists
P.O. Box 1617
Almonte, On K0A 1A0
Add us to your address book
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.