- This event has passed.
Invasive Aquatic Plants Survey
July 30, 2017
THIS NEW DATE IS ALSO CANCELLED
NOTE: Feature photo by Brenda Boyd
Paddle the creeks and bays of Mississippi Lake and take part in year two of this project. Working in conjunction with the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority (MVCA) and the Mississippi Lakes Association (MLA), we will take part in a survey of invasive aquatic plants.
Our aim is to canoe all seven creeks which flow into the lake, collect samples of five known aquatic invasive species and report back to the MVCA headquarters.
Date: Saturday, July 30th (rain date August 13)
Time: 8:30 AM – approx. 2:30 PM
Meet at: Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority headquarters, 10970 Highway 7, Carleton Place, for donuts and coffee, orientation and reporting kits. Crews will be assigned to a specific creek area.
Bring: You will need the usual required canoe equipment, lunch, a pen or pencil, sunscreen etc
To register, or for more information please contact David Garcia at 613-256-6299 or via email If you have a canoe and need a partner, or if you would like to partner with someone who has a canoe, let us know at the same time.
- 8:30 AM meet at MVCA for coffee and donuts (MLA has budget for this)
- Presentation on Invasive Species by MVCA specialists, information about how to fill out forms, etc.
- Handing out of kits, directions to paddling access points, etc.
- Leave between 9:15 and 9:30 AM
- Return to MVCA around 1:15- 1:30 PM, have a late lunch (bring your own)
- Staff will sort through the results and do a quick summary presentation of results.
- End around 2:30 PM
- A comprehensive report will be written up and sent to all participants, and a copy will be published in Mississippi Belle Online