Environmental Issues Committee
MVFN’s Environmental Issues Committee (EIC) is an active committee open to all members. The committee tackles and discusses a range of issues as directed by MVFN’s board, from, primarily, local issues in our communities, to Provincial issues, as well as key global issues affecting the environment here and around the world. As a volunteer member of the EIC you can work with other members on a project, or examine an issue on your own and report findings and recommendations back to the committee. Tackling and researching an issue will allow you to come into contact with a variety of resources and individuals who are experts in their field. Making a proposal to the committee and having the committee and MVFN board follow through with carefully considered recommendations and actions provides a lot of satisfaction that you are helping make a difference to the natural environment.
If you are up to the challenge, why not give it a try? Contact the current chair of the EIC for more details.
Some current issues/projects:
- Challenging the decision by Lanark County to begin spraying (in 2016) all county road-sides, with a non-selective herbicide to control wild parsnip.
- The impact of municipal rural development policies on ANSI’s, woodlands, species at risk, etc.
- Reduce illegal dumping and littering on Clayton Road; roadside cleanup.
- Endangered Species Act: MVFN, with other members of Ontario Nature Network, supports Ontario Nature and supports opposition and seeks solutions to mitigate the recent ‘gutting’ of the Ontario’s Endangered Species Act.
- Promoting measures to reduce carbon emissions in the community.
- Encouraging the development and implementation of municipal Environmental Action Plans.
- Encouraging the development of an effective Natural Heritage System of “Cores and Corridors” for wildlife (as relates to Municipality of Mississippi Mills).
Examples of past issues/projects:
- Joint Climate Change Workshop with MVCA
- Awareness of ground water protection issues: presentations to municipal councils
- Plastic Bag Campaign in Municipality of Mississippi Mills
For posts related to key issues impacting our natural world, please also see information on Ontario Nature Action Alerts and other news items including EIC related and other items under various headings and sub-headings under PROTECT, i.e. >>> Ontario Nature Action Alerts >>> Land Use Planning >>> Other Environmental Issues >>> Climate Change >>> Biodiversity etc.